Friday, September 26, 2008

hold me

"When a single heartbeat occurs earlier than normal, it is called a premature contraction, and this can cause the sensation of a forceful heartbeat"

For the record - whoever said "my heart skips a beat" and made it sound romatic obviously never actually experienced it.

I'm not sure what tests are in my near future but it's def an awkward sensation to say the least. The skipping of the beat makes you dizzy but only for a slight moment in time. It's when it happens several moments within a minute that you fully understand the skipping comparion.

"Slow arrhythmias (bradycardias) can occur because of slowing of the electrical signals initiated by the SA node, a condition called sinus bradycardia. Bradycardias can also result from varying degrees of "heart block," wherein certain medications or diseases in the electrical conduction system of the heart impede the transmission of signals from the atria to the ventricles (see the "Bradycardias" section below).

Premature contractions are isolated heartbeats that occur earlier than expected. The premature contraction is followed by a pause, as the heart electrical system "resets" itself. The contraction following the pause is usually more forceful than normal contractions. The patients frequently perceive these more forceful contractions as palpitations."

Awesome.
On that note. I'm taking meds then going to bed.

Where did this come from and why does the right side of my body hurt when I breathe in deep. I guess I'll find out soon. Wish me luck.

*all quoted information came from:
http://www.medicinenet.com/palpitations/article.htm

No comments: